What is Dating Violence & why we are doing something about it?
Definition: The physical, psychological/emotional, or sexual abuse within a dating relationship.
Know the Warning Signs ? Red flags for Teen Dating Violence
- Suspicious bruises, scratches, or other injuries
- Failing grades
- Alcohol or drug use
- Loss of interest in activities or hobbies that was once enjoyable
- Excuses their dating partner’s behavior
- Avoidance of friends and social events
- Fearfulness around their dating partner
Excuses for relationship abuse/ violence may sound something like this:
- ?It is not violence.?
- ?I was just joking!?
- ?I was having a bad day.?
- ?Jealousy is a normal part of any relationship.?
- ?You got me upset or angry.?
- ?It just happened once.
- “It won’t happen again.?
- ?I didn’t mean to hurt you.?
- ?I should be more important than your friends.?
- ?You deserved it.?
Dating abuse can also cause longer term problems:
- Suicide attempts
- Drug and alcohol abuse
- Risky sexual behavior
- Medical problems
- Lifetime impact on well-being
- Future problems in relationships
- Be safe, get info, & get a plan!
- If you see abuse happening-
- Call for more information 2-1-1 or
- For crisis or emergency situations call 9-1-1.
Also online chat with www.RAINN.org